September 16, 2009

How Passion can Transform Your Blog


The title above is actually a title of guest posting written by Leo Babauta at Darren Rowse's Problogger.com. The theme is somewhat hackneyed, I must admit, but some people may still find it useful. 
In his post, Babauta was preaching in great details how critical the role of passion in each of our blogging activities is. He has got seven points altogether on how to tackle most of our blogging problems with passion as the panacea. For those who do not realy have much spare time to peruse his words, just take a look at the following summary.

Seven ways to transform our blogs with passion:
  1. write things we are passionate about
  2. find things to be passionate about (if you are now a passionless blogger)
  3. write when we are excited (not on schedule)
  4. pump up the jams (listening to music while blogging)
  5. coffee
  6. write passionately, become a better writer
  7. read others who are passionate
 To compare to my own personal blogging experience, I would say that there are some points Babauta and I have in common. Speaking of point 1, I do love to write things I am only passionate about. I hardly ever write or post things I don't even throw a single glance at. Posting something that we do not really like is torturing and futile. 
What about finding things to be passionate about? Since I already found my passion long before starting blogging, I practically have no problem with it. One thing I might consider is perhaps I need to develop some other new and invigorating things to be passionate about. But for the time being, what I know is I do blogging to hone my English skills by sharing what I know.
On the third point, I kind of have a dissenting opinion. I once heard that a good writer should set a target because relying solely on his/her mood to write might be a waste of time. A prolific author even said that we should write only when we get excited or  are in a good mood to write. But regardless of the situation, circumstances, or any possible hampers, it is one of a writer's jobs to perpetually create a situation where s/he can be excited or is in a glaring mood to work. The same thing applies to bloggers. Blogging is basically writing, isn't it?
Listening to music is the one and only thing I can do while blogging. It does not make sense that someone can blog intensively while s/he is watching a DVD. I love some classical pieces of music and some pop songs.
 Coffee? I have never thought of becoming a coffee drinker, now and then. So I must disagree with him in this issue. Drinking coffee, to me, is as bad as drinking liquour. I prefer a cup of green tea, or a full glass of fruit juice to wash away the fatigue.
About the sixth point, it is a natural consequence that our writing quality improves as we do blogging continuously.
Reading other passionate bloggers' contents is a compulsory routine for any novice. It is easier to get some perfect blogging idols as our models, which in turn may boost our spirit to stick to our blogging goals.
See ya!

3 comments:

  1. Hi buddy.. i'm coming... i think that you're gonna be a great blogger.. someday.. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooohhh mannnnn,
    such a blogger u r,
    so dedicated to language learning huh??
    1st korean now english???
    ckckckck..
    keep me posted pal ;)
    ride on!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @blogger ingusan: the first historical moment,blogger ingusan uses full English to comment on my blog. You're gonna be a greater blogger, too, someday!
    @nancy:hey,gurl.just dropped in, huh? blogger I am now becoming...hahah...there're lecturer vacancies at Undip and Unnes, wanna give 'em a shot?

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think, folks!