September 14, 2009

Blogging in English: Dollars or Nationalism?


I'm not talking about bloggers who are living in English speaking countries, like the US, England, Australia, etc; or some other bloggers who live in countries other than the mentioned above, but are lucky enough to get themselves exposed to English on a daily basis. Who I'm talking about here is a group of Indonesian bloggers, like me, who hardly have chance to practice their English proficiency regularly. 

For bloggers with English as their mother tongue (first language) or second language, blogging in English is a piece of cake, literally. But for us, Indonesian bloggers, unless we're exceptionally determined, excelled at linguistic skills, erudite/ learned enough to go to college and drench ourselves in some English literary works or writing pieces, we won't be able to write our blog posts in English entirely.
Today I happened to visit a blog run by a fellow blogger whose nickname is blogger ingusan (conotatively speaking, meaning a novice, green, less experienced blogger in bahasa Indonesia). He posted an article Write in English, Why?, which made me giggle almost to no end because he told something that I am experiencing now, i.e.  the lack of visitors' response. I've had only three or four commentators so far. My blog is already a month old now and having no visitors to comment on what I wrote is unbearably pathetic, I know. There, he spilled all his thoughts, fear and wish about how to blog in English. He elaborated three reasons why blogging in English is worthtrying.
A number of bloggers argue that using Indonesian instead of English shows how much someone's proud of their national language is. But as a matter of fact, we can't decide someone's nationalism solely by measuring how skillful  s/he is at using Bahasa or how frequent s/he is using it. I can't stress much on the fact that English is one thing, nationalism is another. Language is merely a tool of communicating ideas in blogging. Thus, I get really concerned when I discover someone who uses nationalism issue to cover up their reluctance (or disability?) to blog in English.
 Some time in yesteryear, I was kind of impressed when the first time I found an English blog written by an Indonesian blogger . Though it was actually bilingual, the blog was quite a breakthrough to me. I did find some blogs run by Indonesians but this blog is distingushed in the way that it persuades Indonesian bloggers to write their blogs in English. The blog belongs to Fatih Syuhud, who (if I'm not mistaken) is a graduate of one of Indian colleges. If you're someone who is fully determined to start  blogging in English, Fatih Syuhud's blog is certainly a must-visit blog that you must bookmark in your browser.
And to wrap up, I'll answer the question I used as my post's title. I blog in English just because I need to actualize myself, my passion about English learning. What about dollars and nationalism?  I do care but not that much, to be frank (presumably true at the time when this post was being typed). Now, what about you, buddies? Is it all about bucks (monetizing stuffs), showing off to the world who you are and what you can do and know or ...what? I'd be thrilled to have your words on my comment box. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think, folks!