January 11, 2010

How to Ace TOEFL Structure and Written Expression Section

In the second section of TOEFL exam, our knowledge of English grammar and usage will be assessed. This section consists of two parts:
  1. Structure (part A) : incomplete sentences (we have to choose the answer that completes each sentence properly) 
  2. Written expression (part B) : incorrect sentences (we have to choose the wrong underlined part) 
Examples:
Part A
The horizon appears curved when viewed ....... a high place.
(A) with
(B) from
(C) on
(D) out of


Answer: D


Part B
Determining the meaning of vocabulary from context are important.
        A                     B                                  C                D


Answer: D (the wrong part is D, it should be "is")



My tips:
  • Don't read the instructions: All instructions are similar because all TOEFL exams are standardized. Instead of spending too much time perusing instructions, solve the first question as soon as you are allowed by the instructor/ supervisor.
  • Read carefully and translate into our mother tongue: Most of the time I read the questions by heart or slowly (but ensure I don't distract my fellow testee, if there is any). Reading enables me to project the whole 'picture' of the puzzle. By knowing the general image, it's easier for me to discover what is missing or wrong. Translating the questions into my first language (Indonesian) helps me as well. It occasionally aids me to check on my answer's accuracy. If my answer makes my Indonesian translation of the sentence being questioned sound nice, logical or acceptable, then I know I  have picked the best options.
  • Prioritize the easier: Always solve the easier questions first. Don't spend your time figuring out one tough question only. Once you feel like needing extra time to find an answer, shift focus on the next question. After you are done solving the easy questions, go over the previously unanswered questions and solve them (providing that you still have much time left).
  • Elimination: Time is running out and you've still got a number of questions left unsolved? Don't panic. Stay calm so you can still think clearly. Use elimination process. You may call it "a smart guess". Never do I endorse wild guess (guessing without any sound reason). Elimination or smart guess requires us to delete the options which are assumed to be absolutely wrong. 
  • Final touch: Be thorough and careful. Checking our answer (if we still have plenty of time) is never useless. Sometimes people make mistakes NOT because they don't practice hard enough or they are not well-versed enough, but because they fail to focus on basic yet crucial details. Confidence is good but make sure it is not too much. Even a pro can still sometimes make foolish mistakes that a novice can easily avoid.
The last but not the least, pray that you'll get the best score. Good luck!

1 comment:

Tell me what you think, folks!