December 03, 2009

Word Formation (2) : Adverb Formation

The adverb formation section only involves one suffix/ ending, i.e. -ly. This ending applies in almost all adjectives. Please remember: ALMOST ALL, not ALL.


These are some typical examples that we are likely to use in everyday situation. Here, forming an adverb is as easy as swallowing a piece of cake.
  • easy --- easily
  • chief --- chiefly
  • rapid --- rapidly
  • foolish --- foolishly
After the sweet regularities, here come the bitter irregularities. That is what we are supposed to be ready whenever we learn a language.Here are some examples of irregular adverb formation that I found. You may add if you discover one(s).
  • orderly (adjective) --- in an orderly way/ manner/ fashion
  • burly (adjective) --- NO ADVERB
As you notice, there are also some adjectives that already have -ly as their endings (e.g. manly, orderly, ladylike, difficult, etc). Therefore we canNOT say manlily,orderlily, ladylikely, difficultly.There are some cases where an adjective is illogical, or awkward in meaning when it is altered into an adverb. I take 'burly' (= big and strong) as the example:
  •  The bodybuilder burlily lifted the 100-pound dumbbells.
To back my argument, I honestly inform you that I could not find the adjective 'burlily' in my humongous dictionary. But if anyone of you can find 'burlily' in a dictionary, which is reliable of course, let me know that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think, folks!