August 20, 2009

HEALING THE POVERTY-RIDDEN NATION (part1)

One of my great teachers once said rescuing other people from poverty is a form of jihad, too. And I can't agree more. As we already witness, in most cases poverty has caused this nation lots of troubles. Poverty, to me, is the main cause of a series crime acts, terrorism, etc. Indonesia, like many other developing countries, is struggling to tackle tons of poverty-related issues. I'm not saying being richer solves all problems we have now, but at the very least this nation has reached a better level of develoment. In a nutshell, poverty may lead to a nation's deteriorating overall state.
I also heard a Javanese proverb or motto: "wareg, waras, wasis". I am Javanese myself and supposed to be familiar with this but I understood the wise words meaning for the first time when one of our vice presidential contenders, Wiranto, elaborated the meaning on a TV show. Wareg (literally means "stuffed/full (on stomach)"), as long as I can recall Wiranto's explanation, means humanbeings basically have to be satisfied in terms of their basic necessities (food, shelter, clothing, etc). This is the very fundamental crave everyone absolutely needs, including saints, prophets, or anyone. Waras means humankind would be able to be physically, mentally, psychologically and spiritually fit or healthy. Wasis means humans need to learn knowledge,enrich their well-being with more wisdom. Thus being a wasis man is the final stage where someone has to achieve during his or her lifetime.

1 comment:

  1. Healing poverty is a hard job to do
    Even our government until this time still can't handle this situation.

    Hmm...saya juga masih belajar ngeblog koq mas. Saya juga lagi mencoba ngembangin teori sendiri tentang internet marketing. Hmm, mas sendiri bergabung suatu affliasi ebook gitu yah??

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think, folks!